go round and round … all around the town ...
In the first four parts of this series, I highlighted several options for the free days or evenings conference attendees might have during the RWA Annual Conference in New York. There are two ways you can see most of what I’ve already shown you and more in one fell swoop. And today we are going to visit the first of those two ways.
- You have been to New York.
- You are from New York and moved somewhere else.
- You still live in New York and will take a subway to the conference. Or …
- You have never been to New York and wonder … what of all the things you have heard and seen do you want to hear and see for yourself.
In front of Lincoln Center Would it surprise you to know that many natives or frequent visitors also avail themselves of bus or water tours? We do. Natives might never have seen some of the highlighted sights on the tours or they might be entertaining out-of-town company and want a convenient and fun way to show off The Big Apple. Below is a breakdown of the downtown and uptown sites available on one or all of the three major touring companies. The best deal is the Hop on Hop off ticket.
DOWNTOWN TOUR OF NEW YORK CITY
You will receive a 48/72 hours Hop on Hop off double-decker ticket valid from the time you exchange your confirmation email for a boarding ticket at Citysights NY Visitor center.
- Theater District — Broadway between 47th and 48th Streets. (starting point for Downtown)
- Theater District — 50th st. & 8th ave.
- Carnegie Hall — 7th ave between 56th & 57th streets.
- Winter Garden — 50th street & 7th ave.
- Times Square — Broadway between 47th & 48th st.
- Times Square — 7th ave between 41st & 42nd streets. Transfer here for Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises.
- Macy’s — 34th st between 7th & 8th ave.
- Empire State Building — 34th st between 5th & 6th ave.
- Flatiron District — 5th ave between 22nd and 23rd Streets.
- Union Square / Ladies Mile — 14th Street between 5th and 6th aves.
- Greenwich Village — Bleecker Street between Carmine Street and 6th ave.
- SoHo — Broadway between Spring Street and Broome Street.
- Chinatown / Little Italy / Canal Street — Broadway between Walker and White.
- Site of the One World Trade Center/St Paul’s Chapel — Broadway & Park Place.
- Battery Park/Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Ferry — Battery Place & State Street.
- South Street Seaport — South Street and Fulton Street. Transfer her for Liberty Helicopters.
- Lower East Side/Chinatown — Pike Street between Madison and Henry Streets.
- Lower East Side — Allen Street between Grand and Broome Streets.
- East Village — 1st ave between St Marks Place and 9th Street.
- Kip’s Bay — 1st ave between 34th and 35th Streets.
- United Nations — 1st ave between 44th and 45th Streets.
- Waldorf Astoria Hotel — 49th Street between Lexington Ave. and Park Ave.
- Rockefeller Center — 49th Street between 5th and 6th aves. Stop here for admission to Top of the Rock.
UPTOWN TREASURES & HARLEM TOUR You will receive a 48/72 hours Hop on Hop off double-decker ticket valid from the time you exchange your confirmation email for a boarding ticket at Citysights NY Visitor Center
- Times Square South — 8th Ave bet. 42nd & 43rd St.
- Theater District North — 8th Ave & 52nd St.
- Columbus Circle / Time Warner Center — Corner of 59th Street and 8th ave.
- Lincoln Center — Broadway & W. 63rd St.
- Central Park / Strawberry Fields — Central Park West & W. 72nd St.
- American Museum of Natural History / New York Historical Society — Central Park West & 79th St.
- Cathedral of St. John the Devine — Amsterdam Ave & 112th St.
- Grants Tomb / Riverside Church — Riverside Drive & 122nd St.
- Apollo Theater / Harlem — 125th St. between Fredrick Douglass & Adam Clayton Powell Blvds.
- Harlem Market / Shopping — 116th St. bet. Malcom X Blvd. & 5th Ave.
- Museum of the City of NY / Conservatory Gardens — 5th Ave. & 103rd Street. Stop here for your admission to the Museuem of the City of NY.
- Guggenheim & Jewish Museums — 5th Ave. & 90th St.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art — 5th Ave. & 83rd Street.
- Frick Collection / Whitney Musuem / Central Park — 5th Ave. / 72nd St.
- Central Park Zoo — 5th Ave. & 66th St.
- Plaza Hotel / Central Park — Central Park South between 5th & 6th aves.
- Carnegie Hall — 7th Ave between 56th & 57th Streets.
- Winter Gardens — 50th Street & 7th ave.
At every hotel or motel in every major city there is the wonderful service provided by the concierge.
Find them at the Marriott Marquis and gather the information you need about the major bus tours, their schedules, prices and tour sights.
No matter how you get there, once in New York, avail yourself of her sights and sounds, her culture and her spunk.
If you get to our great city
where would you like to go?